Heavy Duty Shipping Sacks
Globalization has increased intercontinental trade and the transportation of goods. As a result, the need to protect free-flowing materials in various types of sacks has also grown. The production of shipping sacks is one of the largest segments for film converters.
To accommodate this trend, Borouge developed a line of Borstar® bimodal film grades for heavy duty sacks. Our Borstar® grades combine high impact and seal strength to reduce the risks of breakage.
Heavy duty shipping sacks (HDSS) are used for goods such as:
- Plastic pellets
- Intermediate products
LDPE and LDPE/LLDPE blends are the most common resin compositions for HDSS, mainly because of cost and availability reasons. Many film converters use the co-extrusion technology to manufacture these films, incorporating higher density materials in core layers to provide increased stiffness and facilitate down-gauging.
Key film requirements for HDSS
It is important that the film used to make heavy duty shipping sacks provides:
- Rigidity/stiffness during packaging, storage and transport to avoid tearing, rupture or other damage to the film
- Optimal film thickness distribution and creep resistance to avoid tearing, rupture or other damage to the film
- Sufficient heat sealing range for trouble-free sealing and high packaging speed
- Low inside friction and blocking for easy opening
- Toughness to avoid bag failures and product spoilage during handling
Solutions adapted to the needs of the market
Borstar® bimodal LLDPE film grades offer a combination of high impact and seal strength that reduces the risk of packages bursting during various stages of their lifetime - from filling, to transportation, to end-use.
Additional benefits of using Borstar® bimodal film grades are:
- Material savings, lower costs
- Shorter production time per bag for a lower unit cost
- Reduced transport costs
- reduced environmental taxation